Licensing Division - Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long does it take to obtain licensure?

It varies from one applicant to another, depending upon the amount of documentation needed to complete the particular application file and how proactive the applicant is in requesting the required verification material as outlined on the application checklist. The time frame may vary anywhere from 21 to 60 or more days. It is advised that you not sign any employment contract or accept any job position without your license being issued first.

    However, please note the following: NAC 630.180: Refund of a fee for application; rejection of application (NRS 630.130)

    • If an applicant:
      • (a) Does not complete his or her application by providing all the documentation required by the form for application within 6 months after the actual date of filing of the form by the applicant;
      • (b) Withdraws his or her application; or
      • (c) Dies before he or she is issued a license by the Board, the Board will not refund any portion of the fee for application.
    • 2. Applications which are not completed within 6 months will be rejected.

    Is Nevada part of the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact?

    • Yes, for medical doctors, you may be eligible to apply for a Letter of Qualification (LOQ) if you hold a current State of Principal license (SPL) designated through the Compact. If you are a current medical doctor licensed in the state of Nevada, you may wish to apply to designate Nevada as your SPL, so you may then apply for a Letter of Qualification for other states which may participate in the Compact. If you require further information related to the requirements of applying for medical licensure via Compact please go to:

    2. Will I have to appear before the Board?

    It depends. If the applicant answers affirmatively (or inaccurately) to particular questions on the application, has an issue or issues that merit appearing before the Board such as a formal licensure disciplinary action, dependency issues (past or present) or arrest history (Felony, DUI, misdemeanor, etc.), has been a defendant in a legal action involving professional liability and has ever had any malpractice settlement amount paid on his/her behalf, or is applying by endorsement, the applicant may be required to appear before the Board once the licensure file is complete. Board license specialists will be able to aid in answering these questions. If you are required to appear before the Board, your application process time may possibly be extended.

      How often are Board meetings held?

      • Board meetings are held quarterly; March, June, September and December in general. Please check the Board website for specific dates:

      3. What if my application for licensure is denied?

      If your application is denied following your appearance before the Board of Medical Examiners, the denial may be reportable to the American Medical Association, the Federation of State Medical Boards, the National Practitioner Data Bank, the Department of Health and Human Services, the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion and/or the National Board for Respiratory Care.

        4. Can I apply for licensure if I do not have a social security number?

        Per NRS 630.197, an application shall include the social security number of the applicant in the application submitted to the Board.

        Pursuant to Nevada Assembly Bill 275 (AB275) an applicant who does not have a Social Security Number (SSN) must provide an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) when completing an application for licensure.

        Effective July 1, 2019.

          5. Are foreign applicants able to obtain a license before securing a visa?

          If you do not hold a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) the answer is no. The Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners requires proof that the applicant can lawfully remain and work in the United States. Board staff will verify the visa, work authorization, etc., through the USCIS.

            6. What medical schools are acceptable?

            The physician must receive the degree of Doctor of Medicine from a medical school: (1) approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education of the American Medical Association and Association of American Medical Colleges; or (2) a program which provides a course of professional instruction equivalent to that provided in medical schools in the United States approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. This information may be found on Internet websites.

              7. What is endorsement?

              If a physician is licensed in another state and is in good standing, he/she may apply for medical licensure by endorsement from that state. (In the state of Nevada, endorsement is not reciprocity.)

                NRS 630.1605 Requirements for license by endorsement to practice medicine.

                  1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 630.161, the Board shall, except for good cause, issue a license by endorsement to practice medicine to an applicant who has been issued a license to practice medicine by the District of Columbia or any state or territory of the United States if:

                  • (a) At the time the applicant files his application with the Board, the license is in effect;
                  • (b) The applicant:
                    • (1) Submits to the Board proof of passage of an examination approved by the Board;
                    • (2) Submits to the Board any documentation and other proof of qualifications required by the Board;
                    • (3) Meets all statutory requirements to obtain a license to practice medicine in this State except that the applicant is not required to meet the requirements set forth in NRS 630.160.
                    • (4) Completes any additional requirements relating to the fitness of the applicant to practice required by the Board; and
                  • (c) Any documentation and other proof of qualifications required by the Board is authenticated in a manner approved by the Board.

                  2. A license by endorsement may be issued at a meeting of the Board or between its meetings by its President and Executive Director. Such an action shall be deemed to be an action of the Board.

                    8. Does Nevada accept the forms from the Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS)?

                    Yes, for both Medical Doctors and Physician Assistants. However, additional verification information may also be required.

                      9. Am I required to mail my original or certified birth certificate, passport or certificate of naturalization to the Board?

                      Yes. The Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners requires original verification of these documents. The documents will be returned to you in a secure manner. The exception is when FCVS verifies the original identity document while processing the FCVS packet and the identity verification or photo is of high visual quality.

                        10. What type of application or renewal payments will the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners accept?

                        The Board will accept cashier’s checks, money orders and credit cards for the application and criminal background investigation fees. The Board will accept cashier’s checks, money orders and credit cards for initial registration and renewal registration fees. The Board accepts the following credit cards: American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa. Please note, credit card information is not accepted over the phone or via email.

                          11. Does Nevada accept American Board of Medical Specialty (ABMS) certification or recertification certificates in lieu of continuing education credits?

                          It depends. If the ABMS certificate specifies how many hours of AMA/PRA Category 1 credit was received and the date it was received, licensees may be able to use that credit as a portion of their CME requirement per NAC 630.153. However, if you have questions related to CME requirements, you may view CME/CEU requirements on the Board's website or please contact the Board at (775) 688-2559, or toll-free at (888) 890-8210.

                            12. Whom do I contact if I have additional questions?

                            If you have any questions about the application or renewal process or any other matter related to licensing, please call the Board office at (775) 688-2559, or toll-free at (888) 890-8210.