NAC 630.080 Examinations.
(NRS 630.130, 630.160, 630.180, 630.318)
1. For the purposes of paragraph (e) of subsection 2 of NRS 630.160, an applicant for a license to practice medicine must pass:
- (a) A written examination concerning the statutes and regulations relating to the practice of medicine in this State; and
- (b) Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, an examination, designated by the Board, to test the competency of the applicant to practice medicine, including, without limitation:
- (1) The Special Purpose Examination;
- (2) An examination testing competence to practice medicine conducted by physicians; or
- (3) Any other examination designed to test the competence of the applicant to practice medicine.
2. The Board will deem an applicant to have satisfied the requirements of paragraph (b) of subsection 1 if:
- (a) Within10 years before the date of an application for a license to practice medicine in this State, the applicant has passed:
- (1) Part III of the examination given by the National Board of Medical Examiners;
- (2) Component II of the Federation Licensing Examination;
- (3) Step 3 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination;
- (4) All parts of the examination to become a licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada;
- (5) The examination for primary certification or recertification by a specialty board of the American Board of Medical Specialties and received primary certification from that board; or
- (6) The Special Purpose Examination; or
- (b) The applicant is currently certified and was certified prior to recertification or maintenance of certification requirements by a specialty board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, agrees to maintain that certification throughout any period of licensure in this State and has actively practiced clinical medicine for the past 5 years in any state in which the applicant is licensed.
3. For the purposes of subparagraph (3) of paragraph (c) of subsection 2 of NRS 630.160:
- (a) An applicant for a license to practice medicine must pass Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination in not more than a total of nine attempts and must pass Step 3 in not more than a total of three attempts; and
- (b) An applicant:
- (1) Who holds a degree of doctor of medicine must pass all steps of the examination within 7 years after the date on which the applicant first passes any step of the examination; or
- (2) Who holds a degree of doctor of medicine and a degree of doctor of philosophy must pass all steps of the examination within 10 years after the date on which the applicant first passes any step of the examination.
4. For any examination conducted by the Board for a license to practice medicine, an applicant must answer correctly at least 75 percent of the questions propounded. The Board will use the weighted average score of 75, as determined by the Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States, Inc., to satisfy the required score of 75 percent for passage of the Special Purpose Examination and the United States Medical Licensing Examination.
5. The Board will authorize the Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States, Inc., to administer the Special Purpose Examination or the United States Medical Licensing Examination on behalf of the Board.
6. An applicant for a license to practice medicine and a person who holds a license to practice medicine must pay the reasonable costs of any examination required for licensure and any examination ordered pursuant to NRS 630.318.
DO NOT CONTACT THE NEVADA STATE BOARD OF MEDICAL EXAMINERS FOR A USMLE STEP 3 APPLICATION OR FOR ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THE USMLE.
THE BOARD DOES NOT ADMINISTER THE USMLE EXAMINATION - THE USMLE ADMINISTERS THE EXAMINATION FOR THE STATE OF NEVADA.
TO RECEIVE AN APPLICATION FOR THE USMLE STEP 3 OR FOR ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE USMLE:
CALL THE USMLE AT 1/800/876-5396 (INTERNATIONAL CALLERS CALL 1/817/571-2949) or
ACCESS THE USMLE APPLICATION ON-LINE AT http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_applonline.html
NEVADA'S ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS SITTING FOR THE USMLE STEP 3 EXAMINATION (Effective May 9, 2003):
- 1. The applicant must have an M.D. degree (or equivalent);
- 2. The applicant must have passed Steps I and II of the USMLE; and
- 3. If the applicant is a graduate of a medical school outside of the United States or Canada, the applicant must have been certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or have successfully completed a "Fifth Pathway" program.